Foods that Aren’t Safe for Dogs

When your dog friend looks at you with those big brown eyes, it can be hard to resist rewarding your friend from the table – like just a piece of what the family is eating. Can it hurt, as it’s just a little bit? Well, that depends on what it is.

There are certain common foods that your dog should never eat, not even in small quantities. Some foods are very dangerous, and as many foods fit into this category, you’ll want to know which ones to avoid.

Here are some foods that most definitely are not safe for dogs. If you think your dog has eaten any of these foods, contact your vet immediately.


Xylitol is a popular sweetener that is fine for humans but not for our four-legged friends. You can find xylitol in candy, baked goods, gum, toothpaste, and specific diet foods.

For dogs, xylitol can cause a severe drop in blood pressure and even liver failure within just a few days of ingesting the food. Early symptoms of xylitol poisoning include coordination problems, vomiting, and lethargy. Your dog could even end up having seizures.


We know that alcohol affects our liver and brain, affecting dogs in the same way – with a lot less needed to cause the same damage. Even a small amount of alcohol – including food with alcohol – can cause diarrhea, vomiting, breathing or coordination problems, coma, and even death.

Alcohol has the same effect on the liver and brain of your dog as it does on us humans. But it takes a lot less alcohol to cause damage to your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be harmful. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death. And the smaller your dog, the worse it can be.

Garlic, chives, or onions

These common foods can be quite harmful to dogs – whether dehydrated, raw, powdered or cooked. These foods can kill your dog’s red blood cells, causing anemia. Signs of poisoning include breathing problems, vomiting, and overall weakness.


Whether in coffee, tea, chocolate, or soda, caffeine can be fatal for dogs. Caffeine can also be found in painkillers or cold medicines.

Chocolate – even white chocolate – also contains theobromine. Theobromine is OK for humans, but it can cause dogs to experience diarrhea and vomiting, as well as seizures, tremors, heart problems and death. Knowing what to do if your dog has eaten chocolate is, therefore, so important!

Grapes or raisins

Grapes or raisins are highly poisonous to dogs – even a tiny amount can make your dog sick. An early sign of poisoning is constant vomiting – within 24 hours, your dog could get depressed and sluggish, and kidney failure isn’t far behind.

Dairy products

Milk, cheese, and other dairy products aren’t meant for dogs, causing diarrhea and other digestion problems.

milk splash

Macadamia nuts

A dog can get very sick with just half a dozen macadamia nuts. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, weakness in their back legs, muscle shakes, and a high temperature.

Cooked bones and fat trimmings

Cooked bones are dangerous for dogs because they can splinter, cause choking, or even blockages in a dog’s digestive system. And fat trimmings from meat, whether cooked or not, can cause pancreatitis.

Peaches, plums, and other pitted fruit

The pits from peaches and plums or the seeds from fruit such as apples or persimmons can cause blockages in the small intestine. Peach and plum pits also contain cyanide, and while we know not to eat them, dogs don’t.

Fruits that contain citric acid, such as oranges, lemons and grapefruit, are safe for dogs to eat, however, can be harmful if consumed frequently in large quantities.


You may want to share your pretzels, chips, or other salty treats with your dog, but eating too much salt could lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms to look out for include depression, tremors, high temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. Death could result.

Unbaked yeast (in dough)

Yeast makes bread rise, and it will expand in your dog’s stomach if your friend eats it before it’s cooked. As the yeast swells inside your dog, it can cause a lot of pain. Fermented yeast in the digestive tract can also lead to alcohol poisoning.

Human medicine

Medicine for humans is very different from treatment for dogs, so don’t attempt to treat your dog with something from your medicine cabinet. Some common ingredients in painkillers for humans, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can cause a dog’s death.

If your dog is craving a treat, give your friend food and other goodies designed for pets. And if your friend is poorly, let your dog climb into bed (with a Chasing Tails ramp if needed) and call your vet.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *